Three suspects have been arrested by the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in Edo State over an alleged Facebook-based fraud scheme through which a Nigerian living in Italy reportedly lost more than seven million naira.
The suspects—Peter Odion, 21; Anthony Ernest, 20; and Destiny Saturday, 20—were arrested in Ebele, Igueben Local Government Area of the state by operatives of the Command’s Tactical and Tracking Team.
The NSCDC said the suspects allegedly lured the victim through Facebook using a female photograph to initiate contact with him.
The victim was reportedly later introduced to Saturday, who allegedly posed as a powerful native doctor capable of using spiritual means to make him wealthy. Acting on the claims, the victim allegedly made several payments to the suspects for the purported spiritual intervention.
He eventually realised that he had been defrauded and, through his lawyer, Barrister Oni Isibor, Esq., petitioned the Edo State Command of the NSCDC for investigation.
The petition prompted the State Commandant, Commandant Akintayo Saidi Ayinla, to order a full-scale investigation into the alleged fraud.
The Command said its Tactical and Tracking Team deployed intelligence and advanced tracking technology to trace the suspects to Ebele, where they were arrested.
According to the NSCDC, the three suspects subsequently confessed to the alleged offence.
The Command said investigation has been concluded and the suspects would be arraigned in court.