The Federal Government on Wednesday blamed the renewed terror attacks, including the abduction of schoolgirls in Kebbi and the assault on worshippers in Eruku, Kwara State, on recent remarks by United States as public anger over the incidents spread nationwide.
Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, said Trump’s posts alleging “Christian genocide” in Nigeria and threatening to deploy US troops had “inadvertently emboldened opportunistic violent groups” now seeking to justify attacks on soft targets.
“Recent pronouncements from the United States have inadvertently emboldened opportunistic violent groups seeking to exploit international narratives and make bold statements by attacking soft targets,” Akume said on Wednesday.
Addressing the evolution of violent extremism, banditry and ongoing security challenges in the country, the SGF added, “Before these statements, insurgency structures had been significantly degraded and reduced to isolated banditry.
“This resurgence underscores the vital need for collaboration, not public labelling, between Nigeria and the United States.”
Trump had, in a series of posts on X between October 30 and November 1, 2025, designated Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern” over allegations of a Christian genocide.
The US President warned that he might deploy American forces to Nigeria if the alleged killings of Christians did not stop.
He said he had directed what he called the “Department of War” to prepare for “possible action” should the violence persist.
Trump also threatened to suspend all U.S. assistance to Nigeria if President Bola Tinubu’s administration failed to address the alleged persecution.
In his statement on Wednesday, the SGF said insurgency networks had previously been significantly weakened and reduced to isolated banditry before the statements.
Some groups were now attempting to leverage those remarks to gain visibility,” he noted.
Highlighting the impact of Trump’s pronouncements, the SGF said, “Recent pronouncements from the United States have inadvertently emboldened opportunistic violent groups seeking to exploit international narratives and make bold statements by attacking soft targets.”
Akume reaffirmed the government’s position that Nigeria does not require foreign troops, noting that the Nigerian Armed Forces have reclaimed territories and degraded Boko Haram and ISWAP structures.
He said the country instead needs targeted support from partners, especially in intelligence, technology and equipment.
“The Nigerian Armed Forces are highly capable, experienced and professional. They have reclaimed vast territories, degraded Boko Haram/ISWAP leadership structures, and conducted successful multi-theatre operations.
“Nigeria does not require foreign troops. What is needed is targeted support from partners, especially the United States, in the areas of intelligence cooperation, technology and military equipment support for advanced engagement against the insurgents, “ Akume said.
Akume also said the government reject claims describing the conflict as a “Christian genocide,” stating that verified evidence shows insurgents and criminal groups have attacked both churches and mosques, killing Muslims and Christians.
The former Benue governor stressed that Nigeria remains a secular state and that government appointments reflect the country’s diversity.
He argued, “Nigeria is a secular state as guaranteed by various provisions of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended.
“No state religion is adopted as a national religion and no citizen of Nigeria is above the Nigerian constitution.
“The appointment made by the present administration reflects the diversities of our nation and both Christians and Muslims and members of the Federal Executive Council holding key positions in equal proportion, including the Nigerian security council, the body that deals with all security challenges in Nigeria.”
He insisted that Nigeria rejects any characterisation of the conflict as a genocide against Christians or any group.
“Verified evidence shows that insurgents and criminal networks attack both churches and mosques, killing Muslims and Christians alike.
“The government remains committed to protecting all citizens and strengthening cooperation with international partners, especially the United States, to dismantle extremist and criminal networks,” he noted.